Wall of Heroes

If you would like your family member or friend that has been the recipient of a Purple Heart,
we invite you to share your story.

Adam Cimbanin

On August 28th 2013, Adam Cimbanin and his unit were attacked and an IED was detonated. Immediately following the explosion, a barrage of RPG’s, mortars and machine-gun fire rained down on the whole base. Adam was blown back by an RPG that landed within 10 feet of him. He was awarded a Purple Heart of injuries sustained on that day.

Andy Miller

Chief Warrant Officer Four Andy Miller earned his Purple Heart Medal in September 2013 in western Afganistan after being critically wounded in his helicopter. He was part of a small team there to train the Afghan Air Force in rotary wing operations. He retired from the Army in June 2015.

His book, "Pamir 62: Heroes are Forever” was released on the 5th anniversary of his injury, September 2018. We thank him for his service and for being a loyal Purple Heart Wine drinker.

Victor Lindenberg Lewis

Victor Lindenberg Lewis was wounded by backblast from an RPG on August 31st, 2009, in OEF IX while serving in with the 10th Mountain Division. "It felt like I got hit by a car like I had been in a car accident. My head was ringing, and I couldn't hear anything," Lewis said.

After retiring from the US military in 2013, he is working to be the first ever combat veteran to play professional golf. “I have a severe TBI and golf changed my life around. I was in a deep depression for years. Life has meaning for me again.”

Hiroshi Hershey Miyamura

Kenneth Reige writes: This is the story of Hiroshi Hershey Miyamura. Hershey served during WW2 and the Korean War. It was during the Korean War where Hershey received his Purple Heart Medal. Well the actions in which he earned his Purple Heart Medal on April 24-25 1951 also resulted in Hershey receiving our nations highest Medal for Valor, The Medal of Honor. Hershey loves to drink wine and just today he was presented with a bottle of your Purple Heart Wine 2014 from another Purple Heart Recipient. Hershey and I shared a few glasses today and Hershey stated that this was one of the best tasking wines he had ever had and is now wanting to purchase a few bottles to have at home and to share with some of his fellow MOH Recipients. I attached a picture of Hershey in his home today enjoying a glass of Purple Heart Wine.

Donny Daughenbaugh

In October 2004 in Mahmoudiya, a city south of Baghdad, I was on a night foot patrol and conducting vehicle searches. When a vehicle approached to be searched, the driver became irate and sped off. He engaged our squad of Marines with an AK-47 rifle and as Marines are taught, if you have no cover and concealment, make yourself a small target. I dropped into the prone position as flashes from the muzzle were aimed in my direction and bullets whizzed by both sides of me. One of those bullets hit me in the face, broke my jaw and severely damaged my nerves. My jaw was wired shut to heal the break and the bullet left in place, too close to vital nerves to be removed. I went to Landstuhl Germany for 2 weeks of stabilization and additional surgery until I was well enough to be sent home, to see my wife and daughter for the first time since my injury occurred. After my visit home I was medically retired from Camp Pendleton after an additional year of recovery. The bullet has caused considerable damage to my nerves, tongue and neck and is still today, causing more problems but strengthens my personal commitment to caring for other wounded veterans.I work at The Coalition to Salute America's Heroes as the Vice President of Field Operations and as a national spokesperson. My involvement with the Coalition has not only helped my physical recovery, but my family has grown tremendously both mentally and spiritually! I believe I was spared that night because I have more work to do!

Melvin Heckman

Jo Ericksen writes: "My dad is 94 Years Old and is a survivor of the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. He was in the navy and stationed at the fire station. About 10 minutes to 8 AM a Japanese plane came over low and cut the communication line with his wing. Everyone at the fire station jumped on the fire truck headed for the hanger that was just bombed. My dad's post was on the back of the truck holding onto the rail. He looked around and saw a plane coming toward the truck shooting a 7.7 millimeter machine gun. My dad yelled to the Chief, "step on it now." That saved their lives because the plane had just dropped a bomb that would have hit the truck, My dad was injured from shrapnel and grit from the road on his back and legs. He still has a piece of the shrapnel in his back. Last December we took him to Pearl for the 75th anniversary of the attack and he was interviewed by CBS and I believe you can still download that interview. " Pearl Harbor Hero 93, returns to the base 75 years after..."

Col. (Ret) Ben Skardon

South Carolina’s Clemson University alumnus and professor emeritus Col. (Ret) Ben Skardon was featured on the news program “60 Minutes” on May 28th to celebrate his 100th birthday.

Skardon was the commander of Company A of the 93nd Infantry Regiment PA (Philippine Army). A battalion of Filipino army recruits on the Bataan Peninsula in the Philippines. He led his troops through some of the fiercest and bloodiest fighting of the war, earning two Silver Stars and three Bronze Stars for valor in combat, as well as a Purple Heart during the first four months of the war – an incredible array of awards for any one soldier.

On Apr 9th, 1942, he became a prisoner of war with tens of thousands of his brothers-in-arms when American troops in that area of operation were forced to surrender to the Japanese. Skardon and his fellow POWs were marched 80 miles north by their captors in one of the most notorious war crimes in history: The Bataan Death March.

Ben drank his bottle of Purple Heart on his 100th birthday on July 14th.

Mike Toma

I was a Marine stationed in Beirut, Lebanon, for my 2nd tour with the Multinational Peacekeeping Force. On October 23, 1983, a terrorist drove a truck containing the equivalent of 10,000 pounds of TNT into our four-story HQ building, leveling it. Killed were 220 Marines, 18 Sailors and 3 Soldiers. I was asleep on the first floor of the barracks at the time not far from the blast origin. Fortunately for me, the 2nd floor just above me did not collapse leaving a pocket around me. I was extricated from the rubble within an hour and flown to a ship offshore for triage then to Germany on the first hospital plane out of country. I spent time there and at Bethesda Naval Hospital, Maryland, recovering from my wounds. The Purple Heart Medal was awarded to me in a ceremony on November 10, 1983 at Bethesda Naval Hospital by Brigadier General Paul Slack.

John A Vargas

John was born in San Juan Puerto Rico, USA and was raised in NYC. He was “Drafted” into the US Army and assigned to the 4th Infantry Division at Ft. Lewis Washington. While serving in Vietnam he voluntary transferred to the 25th Division ¾ Air Cavalry “Centaurs.”

On the 19th of May 1967, while on a mission in the Hobo Woods, South Vietnam, John was seriously injured sustaining bullet wounds to his right shoulder. In spite of his wounds, he continued to engage the enemy with M60 tracers while marking their position with smoke. Subsequently, he saved the other three-crew members while assisting to kill at 17 VC. For his bravery and dedication to duty, along with the Purple Heart, John was awarded The Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal for Valor. He is one of a few in the Army to have received the DFC, which is usually awarded to an Air Force pilot.
John was a volunteer with the Colorado Police Department for 10 years working with the Senior Victims Assistant Team and as Tour Director. John was a member of the Chamber of Commerce and served on the Hispanic Advisory Council of the El Pomar Foundation.

Currently he is a member of the Highlands Ranch American Legion, the Vietnam Veteran’s of America in Centennial, and the Danny Dietz, Purple Heart Chapter in Arvada Colorado and remains a member of the VFW in the Springs.

James H. Overstreet

My father was LCDR James H. Overstreet, the Mission Commander of the EC-121 shot down by North Korea in 1969. Each year since, members of the reconnaissance and intelligence community in Japan commemorate this event on 15 April. The ceremonies were small and informal at first, but grew and became more formal over the years. I was fortunate to travel to Japan my last year in the Navy and attend the 45th commemoration. Wine was not a big part of our culture in Mississippi in the 60's, but my parents were familiar with Mateus, Lancers, Chianti and Lambrusco via their Navy experience. My father was only 34 when he gave the ultimate sacrifice. I'm sure he would have eventually discovered finer wines, however he probably would have still paired them with fried catfish, steamed crabs and shrimp gumbo. Thank you for your tribute and I look forward to trying Purple Heart.


By clicking the submit button below, you are verifying that you are 21 years of age or older.